Since Elon Musk bought Twitter, a lot of changes have been made to the app and two brand new social media platforms have been created. Mastodon sets out to become the next Twitter and Hive Social is taking inspiration from multiple platforms like Facebook and Instagram.
New social media platforms can always be hit or miss, as many of us have seen. BeReal is one of the most recent additions to the social media scene and it’s taken off really quickly. But not all new social platforms are as successful, so is it worth jumping the gun and adding these platforms to our strategies, and is it wise to take out Twitter?
Let’s talk about the pros, and cons.
- Celebrities have started boycotting the social platform, with Gigi Hadid saying it’s becoming a “cesspool of hate and bigotry”
- Musk has said that he wants to make Twitter more profitable, by introducing paid features to the site.
- Twitter isn’t in the top five most used social media platforms. Meaning that your audience is likely to be somewhere else.
- Hive Social officially hit 2m users and is still climbing, it may actually be a hit eventually.
- Hive Social doesn’t currently have any ads. So unless you’re happy to rely on organic reach, it may not be the one for you.
We’re not likely to be introducing these new platforms to our clients social strategy just yet. But will we be dropping Twitter? Whilst unlikely, that’s yet to be determined – Twitter still gets plenty of reach and good engagement. If Elon Musk does actually achieve everything he wants to, e.g. introducing paid aspects and improvements on the app, reducing bots etc, then maybe it’ll become an even more integral part of our strategies moving forward.