Learning how to write a blog can seem daunting at first. What should I write my blog about? Are there any blogging practices I need to follow? How long should my blog be? These are the kind of questions you’ll be asking yourself when you start blogging. We’re here to help; this week’s blog provides some handy blogging tips for all kinds of bloggers, whether you’re just learning how to write a blog or have been doing it for years.
- Topic – Research your topic thoroughly. People like to read content from specialists of certain topics. If you know what you’re talking about, people often want to hear your opinion. Whether it’s baking, marketing or technology – as long as you pick topics you’re knowledgeable and passionate about you’ll have no trouble. For bonus points discuss topics which are currently relevant in the news or a specific industry, you’re more likely to receive more traffic and buzz around your blog if you do so.
- Content Length – Blogs don’t have to be essays. If they’re too long you’ll often find readers switch off. One of the most appealing aspects of reading a blog is that they contain bitesized pieces of content. We usually say to aim for around 400 words minimum – this results in an easy to digest amount which is also long enough for search engines such as Google when they’re ranking your blog.
- Call to action – If you’re a business your blog should try to encourage the user to make an action. Whether that’s picking up the phone to give you a call, filling out a contact form to get in touch, or just sign up for your newsletter. Whatever the action you want the reader to take after reading your blog, ensure it’s clear with a good call to action. This can be as simple as a button at the end of your blog which takes people to your contact page, or to a newsletter sign up form etc.
- Images / Media – This is an important one! Enrich your blog with images or other forms of media such as videos. All blogging platforms support embedding of images and Youtube videos super easily these days. Make sure you give credit for images which aren’t your own. If your blogging platform allows you to pop in an ‘alt’ tag when adding the image to your blog, make sure you add in a short description of the image related to your overall site topic – this can help for SEO.
- Social Sharing – Social sharing of blog posts is often one of the biggest traffic sources for blogs these days. Make sure your blog has social sharing buttons which allow users to share the article on their social networks. Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Instagram and Tumblr are arguably the most important depending on your blog’s subject matter.
Have any of your own tips on how to write a blog? Leave them in the comments below!
[button color=”accent-color” hover_text_color_override=”#fff” size=”large” url=”http://email.superflymarketing.co.uk/h/j/B080F5739BE46312″ text=”Sign up to our E-Newsletter to get free monthly marketing tips!” color_override=”” image=”icon-check”]