Safe to say my list of social media icks is growing rapidly.
I recently read on LinkedIn that copywriting is a cheat code to marketing. So I thought, what better topic to discuss at the moment than a light hearted joke about some marketing things that personally make me cringe…
If you’ve been spending countless hours of your day scrolling through Tiktok or Instagram then you’ve most likely come across the ‘They’re a 10 but…’ trend where people give their icks.
However if you haven’t been sucked into the black hole that is Tiktok then the term ‘ick’ may be new and unknown to you.
An Ick- Something someone does that is an instant turn-off for you, making you instantly hate the idea of being with them romantically.
I’ve come up with my top 5 icks…
- Cold Emails – attempting to make a cold email seem genuine and personal but your colleague is also in my spam box with the exact same chain of messages hoping today is their ‘lucky day’ and I might feel inclined to reply… I don’t.
- Including a link in your Instagram caption – when have I felt so desperate to see where a link goes that I’ve spent minutes typing it into my search bar, or even attempted to copy and paste it within the app… never.
- Fake followers – self explanatory. If I come across an account with thousands of followers and 7 likes, it screams dodgy in my opinion and I run in the opposite direction.
- Using lots of emojis and using font apps in your bio – both of these give me strong 2012 vibes and I’m not a fan.
- Unnecessary commas – This has been an ick of mine long before I even stepped into the marketing industry, but I never would have thought something so little would ignite such a huge rage in me. Let’s not even talk about when I’m proofreading my own work and come across stray commas…internal conversations are had.
There are a few more I could tell but then this blog might just seem like it’s one big list of complaints and the marketing world is full of so many more interesting and eye opening examples of content than it is of icks! Next time, something more positive!
So, that’s my little rant over 🙂